{'Mentally it's killing me': De Minaur on verge of ATP Finals exit after final set collapse
Alex de Minaur's hopes of reaching the ATP Finals semi-finals are hanging by a thread after a gut-wrenching defeat in three sets to Lorenzo Musetti.
Crushing Defeat in Turin
The world No 7 succumbed 7-5 3-6 7-5 after being unable to close out the match, allowing the Italian to stay alive in the tournament and now leaving the Australian requiring to convincingly beat Taylor Fritz in his third and final group match to reach the semi-finals.
Psychological Challenges Threaten Career
But facing Fritz in two days' time is the least of de Minaur's pressing worries as the Sydneysider concedes he must confront the mental demons that risk undermining his career.
A loser of all six of his major tournament quarter-final appearances, the 26-year-old was couldn't hide his anguish after experiencing yet another high-stakes near miss with his tournament fate in his own hands.
"I'm uncertain how many times I can deal with a loss like this one," de Minaur stated in Turin. "I just have to talk to my team and try to sort out these problems because these are challenges that cannot continue occurring."
Career Crossroads
"I mean, if I really want to be genuine about advancing to the next level in my career, these contests, I can't lose them. I just must not. It seems as if I've lost a lot of them this year. More than anything, it's getting to a point where mentally it's destroying me."
Characterizing his emotions as "quite dark", de Minaur lamented a succession of final set collapses in 2025 and said he must find a way to win the tight encounters.
Recent Disappointments
The top-ranked Australian's streak of crushing losses include:
- Recent 6-3 4-6 7-6 (7-5) result against Alexander Bublik at the Paris Masters
- Closely-contested US Open quarter-final defeat to Felix Auger-Aliassime
- Final four in Monte Carlo against Musetti
- Squandered two-set lead against Bublik at the French Open
- Defeated in a third-set tiebreaker to Andrey Rublev in the Doha semi-finals
"I continue investing everything into these matches," de Minaur commented. "When the result's not there, it's hard to keep persevering."
Urgent Resolution Needed
"This is an issue that if it doesn't get sorted, it's going to eat me alive. I need to get it sorted quickly rather than delayed."
Forthcoming Test
De Minaur and Fritz are 5-5 in past meetings, though the sixth-ranked American emerged victorious in their matchup in this prestigious tournament last year.
The Aussie's chances remain alive after Fritz suffered a 6-7 (2-7) 7-5 6-3 defeat to Carlos Alcaraz that ensured the Spaniard would advance to the semi-finals as the victor of the Jimmy Connors group.
Tournament Implications
The world No 2's win, having already knocked over de Minaur, put Alcaraz within one win of claiming the year-end top ranking from Jannik Sinner.
Even if he is defeated by Musetti in his final group match, Alcaraz will regain the world No 1 ranking except if Sinner, who defeated Auger-Aliassime in his first match on Monday, goes unbeaten to retain his ATP Finals title.
"I'll attempt not to focus on it," said Alcaraz. "It's going to be a extremely important match for me. I will try not to let the nerves play a negative role in the match. I will concentrate on my objectives, about feeling much better than today."